By Marina Aagaard, MFE
Rope jumping is super for getting-into-shape-in-no-time for kids and adults, women and men.
And a jump rope is one of the most cost-effective pieces of equipment; a very limited investment of time and money and in return excellent training results:
You improve cardiovascular health, stamina, coordination and strengthen your bones all at the same time.
Hop, hop, hop, hop, hop, hop?
No! Don’t just hop, do various steps non-stop:
Skip, knee, kick, jack; lots of sweat will drop,
while motivation continues to be on top!
- Start with a lightweight rope. When standing on it, the handles should reach the armpits.
- Start with easy jogging on the spot, without jumping rope, then easy jogging with rope jumping. 3-5 min.
- For the first 2-3 times just do basic rope jumping, easy jogging, to learn the technique. At first the rope may seem to have a mind of its own, but soon you will get the hang of it.
- Progress to rope jumping with different steps, jog, run, hop scotch, skip, kneelift, kick, hop, jack.
- Stop in time! Don’t overdo it. At first you only jump rope for up to 5 minutes. Gradually progress to 15-45 minutes.
Click on the video to view rope jumping base moves and some variations. Enjoy.